CRA MARKS FIVE YEARS OF REGULATORY WORK
10 May 2013
The Casino Regulatory Authority (CRA) today held its fifth work plan seminar, marking its transition from a young regulator to one that has made its mark locally and on the international stage. The theme for this year’s work plan seminar is ‘Pioneers. Stewards. Leaders.’
2. Officiating the opening and delivering the keynote address was Mr. S Iswaran, Minister, Prime Minister’s Office and Second Minister for Home Affairs and Trade & Industry.
3. In the past year alone, CRA has achieved several significant milestones. In October 2012, CRA hosted the International Association of Gaming Regulators (IAGR) Conference - the first in Asia, which saw more than 180 regulators coming together to learn, share and discuss a wide range of gambling regulatory issues. In November 2012, CRA, together with other government agencies, enhanced the provisions for effective gambling regulation through the amendment of the Casino Control Act after almost a year of thorough reviews and consultations.
4. Keeping abreast of issues in the fast-paced casino regulatory environment continues to be a top priority for CRA in the coming years.
5. On the international front, CRA will deepen its engagement with leading jurisdictions to learn best practices. At home, CRA has embarked on a research project with the Home Team Behavioural Sciences Centre to better understand the psyche and behaviour of local gamblers. CRA has also deployed enforcement officers from early 2013 to strengthen its ground presence in the casinos for more proactive enforcement.
6. To commemorate its fifth anniversary, the CRA today sealed a time capsule containing items from its pioneering days. Among the items are duplicate copies of the first casino licences to RWS and MBS, and a pen that was used for signing CRA’s first Memorandum of Understanding with the Nevada Gaming Control Board. The time capsule will be unveiled on CRA’s 20th anniversary in 2028.
Communications & International Relations Branch
Casino Regulatory Authority of Singapore
10 May 2013