CASINO REGULATORY AUTHORITY HANDING OVER CEREMONY
15 Jun 2011
In a ceremony officiated by Mr Benny Lim, the Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of Home Affairs, the current Chief Executive of the CRA, Mr T. Raja Kumar handed over the leadership of the Authority to incoming Chief Executive, Mr Lau Peet Meng.
2. Mr Raja Kumar, will return to the Singapore Police Force where he will be appointed Deputy Commissioner of Police (Policy).
3. Mr Raja Kumar assumed leadership of CRA on 10 April 2008. He took on a pioneering role and successfully saw through key milestones, such as the formation of the CRA as a Statutory Board and the conceptualization, development and successful implementation of Singapore’s casino regulatory framework. As the CRA’s first Chief Executive, he was instrumental in championing various innovations relating to casino regulation. One example is the Casino License Application System (CLAS), an online system incorporating new technologies and an intelligent form capability that was used for the first time in the Asia Pacific region. CLAS is a pro-business initiative which uses technology to minimise the hassle and tedium of filling out the voluminous Personal History Declaration Form to achieve efficiency for both the regulator and operator. Mr Raja Kumar is also a Steering Committee Member of the International Association of Gaming Regulators (IAGR) and the sole Asian representative on the committee. His active participation in the IAGR and strong ties forged with the international regulators have helped CRA gain knowledge and experience in the area of casino regulation.
4. “I am proud to be part of the pioneering team of CRA. As I look back on my time with CRA, I am proud to see how my team and I worked together to overcome the challenges faced in setting up a new casino regulatory framework for Singapore. I would also like to thank my fellow Home Team agencies such as the Police, with whom we work closely with to keep crime out of the casinos,” said Mr T. Raja Kumar, the outgoing Chief Executive of CRA at the handing over of leadership ceremony.
5. Incoming Chief Executive of CRA, Mr Lau expressed his appreciation of Mr Raja Kumar’s contributions to CRA and his support in enabling a smooth transition.
6. “I am honoured to be given the privilege to help shape CRA as an effective regulator that will ensure that our laws are enforced fairly and firmly. CRA is a young statutory board; while we have achieved much under Mr T. Raja Kumar, we still have more to learn from our fellow regulators both in Singapore and externally. I look forward to working with the strong team that Mr Raja Kumar has built over the years to strengthen the regulatory role of CRA,” said Mr Lau Peet Meng.
Corporate Communications Unit
Casino Regulatory Authority of Singapore
15 June 2011